AXF at a glance
Archive eXchange Format (AXF) is an open format that supports interoperability among disparate content storage systems and ensures the content's long–term availability no matter how storage or file system technology evolves. AXF inherently supports interoperability among existing, discrete storage systems irrespective of the operating and file systems used and also future–proofs digital storage by abstracting the underlying technology so that content remains available no matter how these technologies evolve.
At the most basic level, AXF is an IT–centric file container that can encapsulate any number and any type of files in a fully self–contained and self–describing package. The encapsulated package actually contains its own file system, which abstracts the underlying operating system, storage technology, and the original file system from the AXF object and its valuable payload. It's like a file system within a file that can be store any type of data on any type of storage media.
Who are we?
The OpenAXF community is a central gathering point where interested technical and non–technical people with interest in long term storage, archive and preservation advancement can gather to keep abreast of developments in the area of the Archive eXchange Format (AXF). With applications anywhere data storage, transmission, archive or preservation is concerned, AXF has a wide reaching appeal to many people with varied backgrounds including end–users, preservation organizations and manufacturers. Our goal is to continue to advocate and educate around AXF and evolve into an open community forum once AXF is standardized. For more information please contact us at info@OpenAXF.org.
- Liaise with various user groups and manufacturers to evolve the AXF specification and ensure it covers all desired use cases and technologies
- Actively work with various industry standards bodies on standardization of AXF
- Promote the adoption and utilization of AXF in various sectors including Media and Entertainment, Enterprise IT, Government, Military and Preservation Organizations
- Advocate for AXF at various global industry conferences
- Gather advanced technical requirements and assist in the roadmap definition for AXF and its evolution over time
- Act as a central portal for users, manufacturers and innovators to remain up–to–date on everything AXF